Rwp03: RSM changes

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed May 28 01:13:59 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

> (BTW, if it would be better for you, we can table this and

No problems. These debates are my _relaxation_ :)

> ... With OAI,
> muliple metadata formats allow one to describe entities using
> either a
> cross-disciplinary schema (OAI Dublin Core) or one or more
> community-specific schema.

Ah, right! But one could imagine a service that performed a service that
crossed several boundaries (eg, provided catalog information *and* performed
image cutouts, say) so we should allow one service type to choose to supply
other SMFs.

> See slide 5 of my PP presentation at the Cambridge meeting
> (http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2003ResReg/VOResource.ppt).

Oops! Must have been writing one of the proposal docs.

> I don't think it is useful to define special metadata for one-of-a-kind
> services (say, for example, a galaxy morphology compute service) for 2

Agreed. But the RSM/RM doc, if it is to become a standard, must identify how
SMFs fit into the overall registry schema and the process for documenting
them.

Then again, should we allow non-standard MFs which are separately
namespaced? Thus, s/w which understands the namespace could make use of it.
Needs more thought.

Yes, this is my expectation.  Each extension should go through the
standards process.  Service-specific metadata would usually be defined as
part of a standard service specification (e.g. SIA which defines a list of
metadata to be included in the registry; see slide 8 and SIA V1.0).

I don't think it is useful to define special metadata for one-of-a-kind
services (say, for example, a galaxy morphology compute service) for 2
reasons:
  *  No one will know what to do with the information (from an automated
     sense).
  *  If think of metadata as variables containing values, they are only
     useful when they vary between implementations.  If there's only one
     implementation, you don't need the metadata.
Any special information about a one-of-kind service can be described in
the human-readable document pointed to by ReferenceURL.

The extended service metadata describe general classes of services.  This
may be a specific standard service (like SIA) where there are many
implementations, or something more general, like a Web Service (see slide
6).