resource identifiers

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue May 27 11:35:11 PDT 2003

> >   <ResourceID>
> >     <AuthorityID>www.ncsa.uiuc.edu</AuthorityID>
> >     <ResourceKey>ADIL/SIA/targeted:95.DR.01.01.fits:wibble</ResourceKey>
> >   </ResourceID>
> >
> > This also solves Roy's OAI problem. The worst string you'll get is:
> >   ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ADIL/SIA/targeted:95.DR.01.01.fits:wibble

I applaud this move to get back to basics.  I would like to suggest 3
refinements.

1. Bring back the <RecordKey> as an optional component of the ID.

   The main reason for this has to do with using the ID to retrieve a
   description from the registry.  A resource identified by only an
   <AuthorityID> and a <ResourceKey> is guaranteed to resolve to a
   description stored in a registry.  However, those that include a
   <RecordKey> are not.  Nevertheless, if one has ResourceID that has
   RecordKey component, one can still learn something about it by
   retrieving the description of the resource it is a part of.  This would
   be easier if the record component were separately tagged, rather than
   parsing the ResourceKey (e.g. chopping at the first : ) which has to be
   done outside of a standard XML parser.

   Thus,

   <ResourceID>
     <AuthorityID>www.ncsa.uiuc.edu</AuthorityID>
     <ResourceKey>ADIL/SIA/targeted</ResourceKey>
     <RecordKey>95.DR.01.01.fits:wibble</RecordKey>
   </ResourceID>

   (look familiar?  :-)

   I would add that contents of the RecordKey is entirely up to the
   resource owner (apart from what from any character restrictions we
   place; see below).

2. In the URI form, make # the delimiter between the ResourceKey and
   the RecordKey.

   This is more in the spirit of the #'s use in URL's in that it points to
   a component of a resource.  And because of this connection to URLs, it
   is less likely to be used as a non-special character within each of the
   components.  (Another way to put this: people will more likely want to
   use colon as a regular character, particularly in the RecordKey).

   (Thanks, Roy)

3. We should plan to spell out which are characters are legal and which
   are not for each component.  The restrictions should be more stringent
   on the AuthorityID and the ResourceKey due to their role in Registry
   interfaces.

Is this okay?