resource identifiers

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri May 23 12:25:36 PDT 2003

> Not so fast, fella!

Too late - home already :)

> Otherwise, it is a little harder
> (unnecessarily so) to
> tell that the following are the same:
>
>   ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ADIL/SIA/targeted?95.DR.01.01.fits&wibble
>   ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ADIL/SIA/targeted?wibble&95.DR.01.01.fits

But order need not be significant if you allow different keys:

  <ResourceID>
    <AuthorityID>www.ncsa.uiuc.edu</AuthorityID>
    <ResourceKey>ADIL/SIA/targeted</ResourceKey>
    <Record>
      <Key1>95.DR.01.01.fits</Key1>
      <KeyX>wibble</KeyX>
    </Record>
  </ResourceID>

ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ADIL/SIA/targeted?Key1=95.DR.01.01.fits&KeyX=wibble

> Generic VO software needs at least to know how to pull out
> the components to create the URI version.

But we have defined that. The <Query> or <Record> portion is constructed
using the
  ?keyword=value&keyword=value&...

If you have to know to put the <Record> after the '?' and the <key> bits
separated by '&' then it is no different to knowing to construct
?keyword=value&keyword=value&... It is just part of understanding the
namespace.

Off to have dinner now...