resource identifiers

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri May 23 12:12:59 PDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Tony Linde wrote:
> Aaarrrgghhh - need to go home!

Not so fast, fella!

> I don't know about this - is there a problem with 'any'? As long as the
> resource knows what to do with it, does it matter what goes in the <Query>
> structure?

Generic VO software needs at least to know how to pull out the components
to create the URI version.  It is best if the markup is defined in the
VOResource schema standard XML parsers can do the parsing.

I think we agree on the concept; it's more just a matter of syntactic
sugar, as they say.  An alternative might be:

  <ResourceID>
    <AuthorityID>www.ncsa.uiuc.edu</AuthorityID>
    <ResourceKey>ADIL/SIA/targeted</ResourceKey>
    <Record>
      <Key>95.DR.01.01.fits</Key>
      <Key>wibble</Key>
    </Record>
  </ResourceID>

I wouldn't worry about the tags for the components being all the same.
Order is preserved in parsing, and I think we need to mandate that order
is significant.  Otherwise, it is a little harder (unnecessarily so) to
tell that the following are the same:

  ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ADIL/SIA/targeted?95.DR.01.01.fits&wibble
  ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ADIL/SIA/targeted?wibble&95.DR.01.01.fits

BTW: yes, I think it is fine to drop the "ivo://" from the contents fo
<AuthorityID>.

Now you can go home.