resource identifiers

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri May 23 05:40:03 PDT 2003

Tony

> This does not solve Roy's problem but the above is according to the
standard
> and to accepted use of that standard and I don't think we should mess with
it.

> If the OAI cannot cope with the above (eg by escaping the problematic
> characters) then we need to look elsewhere for a harvesting standard.

If VO identifiers have = and &, it is not just an OAI problem, it means that
the identifier cannot be used in any web service that has CGI GET
implementation -- at least not without character translation.

Another suggestion:

According to URI Generic Syntax (RFC-2396) the format is:

Therefore we can have:
    ivo://<AuthorityID>?ResourceKey#RecordKey

For example:
    ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvo/registry?ADIL/SIA/targeted#95.DR.01.01.fits

Roy