MyUCDs & Registry

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon May 19 10:24:28 PDT 2003

Hi Guys,

The current registry model allows for catalogs to be registered
individually and that the descriptions stored in the registry could
contain all the information that Patricio listed.  The main question is
how fine-grained you want the registry to be and, thus, whether catalogs
are within your limit.

I think we heard at the interop meeting last week sufficient interest in
registering catalogs.  So then the next step would be to model the catalog
description, using the generic Resource metadata as a starting point.  We
would ask ourselves what additional information do we want in the
description.  Column UCDs and names would be an example of that type of
information.

I'll note that in our prototype schema for describing SIA services, we
included a description of the columns returned by an image query.  This
was done using the VOTable FIELD elements; thus, it included both the
local names and the UCDs (along with the IDs, type, and anything else you
can stick in a FIELD element and its children).  This could be done for a
catalog description as well (regardless of whether it is actually
available in VOTable format).

hope this helps,
Ray