MyUCDs & Registry

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon May 19 10:16:10 PDT 2003

Patrick and Marco

> are you sure the Registry will include all these information?
> Perhaps "column names" and "units" will be resolved by
> the service provider, and not by the registry itself.

My understanding is that every registry entry is based on the Resource and
Service Metadata (RSM) document (*). Everything in the registry has the
basic stuff like title and publisher and description, also spectral and sky
coverage.

Then there are extension pieces, and so far we only have a good idea of
extending to services. The metadata for these includes the URL, the mime
type of what comes back, and other stuff that defines standard VO services
(eg SIA, Cone etc).

Whta is missing from the RSM is an extension that deal specifically with
tables. It would include much of the VOTable header information I assume,
including the UCDs.

I think that now would be a good time to sketch an XML schema for catalog
metadata. We already have curation and coverage from the Resource base, but
then how is the extension document different from a VOTable header?

Roy

(*)
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaResReg/ResourceServiceMetadataV7.doc

--------
Caltech Center for Advanced Computing Research
roy at cacr.caltech.edu
626 395 3670

> Any registry will contain metadata about the services listed, ie,
> the catalogues.
> The registry would know (among other things),
> - catalogueName (possibly catalogueUniqueID)
> - catalogueTitle
> - catalogueKeywords
> - catalogueAuthor
> - number of columns
> - number of records
> - column names, UCDs, units
> - name ID,MAIN ---
> - RA POS_EQ_RA,MAIN h:m:s
> - Dec POS_EQ_DEC,MAIN d:m:s
> - Vmag PHOT_JHN_V mag
> - Bmag PHOT_JHN_B mag
> - z REDSHIFT ---

are you sure the Registry will include all these information?
Perhaps "column names" and "units" will be resolved by the service
provider, and not by the registry itself.

Cheers,
    Marco