Rwp02 - Some ideas on defining scope and Key Science Cases

Mark G.Allen allen at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Mar 26 09:30:07 PST 2003

Some of the first things for discussion in Rwp02 as I see them are
 i) the rough plan as outlines in the Initiate Discussion post.
ii) Scope definition,   and
iii) Key Science cases.

Here I've jotted down some ideas on Scope Definition and how we might
start on the Key Science cases, again flowing on from the London meeting
discussion, and intended to motivate discussion here.

Some Ideas for Scope Definition:

In order to keep focused, the science- and  use-cases are
intended to be directly related to registry functions in
the VO, rather than the VO as a whole. Or, at least the
registry relevant aspects of general VO science cases should
be foremost.

In considering registry functions, we should not get hung up
on technical or implementation issues. For example we might
simply refer to things like the "query format" without
specifying what this format is, rather focusing on what
resource and scientific information needs to be included.

Similarly we probably don't want to get bogged down
specifying how a portal or interface may utiltise
information returned from a registry, but at the
same time not get too far removed from reality.

As part of the scope definition, it was also suggested
we try to decide on some definitions for the sake of
putting names to things like "resources", "query service" etc.
I'd suggest general adoption of the language and definitions
in "Resource and Service Metadata for the VO"
(http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/Registry19032003/ResourceServiceMetadataV6.pdf)
(although this may contradict Tony's meeting notes(?))

Issues of depth, complexity and granularity are bound to be
central here, but we should keep in mind the general question
as put by AL "what is the MINIMUM set of agreed standards we
should agree on".

Key Science cases:

5 or 6 key science case envisaged to drive definition of
what needs to go into a registry. Let's start on one front
by taking the current science cases developed by the various groups,
and seeing what requirements these place on registries.
(NVO has of course defined some "registry use case scenarios"
already)

-Mark.

Mark G. Allen
Observatoire de Strasbourg