Rwp02 - Initiate discussion

Mark G.Allen allen at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Mar 26 03:16:30 PST 2003

Hi everyone,

This email is to initiate discussion on the Registries
Work Package 02 (Rwp02) "Requirements, Science Cases, Use Cases
and Test Cases", following the IVOA Registries Kickoff meeting
in London, March 19-20.

The charter of this work package as defined in that meeting is
to focus on science case scenarios, and use cases related specifically
to VO registries. In particular, to develop use cases which will help
define requirements for VO registries.

The overall plan for all work packages is to get v1.0 documents
in shape by the end of the year, but since this work package defines
the science drivers, and requirements that other work packages will
rely on, we'll need to have good draft versions very soon.

We're probably in good shape with work along these lines already
started by various groups, and hopefully those involved can contribute
in the context of IVOA. This work package will require a wide range
of input, so volunteers are GREATLY ENCOURAGED! Sign up as suggested
by Tony, by emailing me, or simply wade into the discussion.

The first-cut of a plan for Rwp02 from the meeting comprises a list
of the envisaged documents, and dates for early drafts:

- Define Scope       draft v0.1     11 April
- Key Science Cases  draft v0.1     11 April
- Use Cases          draft v0.1     25 April
- Requirements       draft v0.1     09 May

(Cambridge Meeting                 May 12-16)

- Requirements       drafts v0.2    28 June
  Science Cases
  Use Cases
  Test cases

Clarification of these terms should go into the scope document, but
this is how they were understood at the meeting.

Key Science Cases - 5 or 6 science scenarios relying on registry functions

Use cases - How registries are envisaged to be used,
            i.e. Requests (from humans, a VO portal or other VO layered
                 services) for *** from a registry which responds with ***.
                 The various type of requests, e.g. locating services
                 via wavelength, locating processing service etc.

Test cases - actual queries against which registry implementations can
             be tested. Ranging from simple to complex.

The Cambridge meeting in May will be an ideal time to have face to
face discussions on these issues, and to also have presentations of
key science and use cases. Registries will mean different things to
different people, so the intention is to have those ideas developed
to a level where they can be compared in detail in Cambridge.

The first drafts for the Scope definition and Key Science cases are
due in only a couple of weeks. I hope the discussion will be able
to quickly define the scope, and that text on key science cases
can be contributed by the various originators. I intend to get a
wiki page for drafts set up on the IVOA pages.

There is much discussion on various aspects of registries
already on this mailing list. Those entering at this discussion
are encouraged to read the previous threads.

Also, to see how this work package fits into the overall IVOA Registry
plans, see the information about the meeting on
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/Registry19032003. Tony should
post a meeting summary/minutes there soon.

 - Mark