Kickoff meeting

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 01:58:04 PST 2003

Thanks to everyone who attended the Registry WG kickoff meeting last
week, especially the Europeans who travelled to London and the Americans
who were up at ungodly hours to participate by (an initially flaky but
eventually, thanks to NASA, very effective) telecon.

I'll post a summary of the meeting on the meeting page:
  http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/Registry19032003
(which already has all the presentations and some supporting documents)
shortly, but will mention a few conclusions here.

We have set up five working packages to encompass the work required for
producing the range of standards within the registry domain. Those are:

Rwp01: Management, Policy & Documentation standards
Rwp02: Requirements, Science Cases, Use Cases, Test Cases
Rwp03: Metadata specs
Rwp04: Registry replication and interfaces
Rwp05: Implementation coordination

A number of the people at the meeting 'volunteered' to lead and
participate in those groups. Those people were (first named is lead):

Rwp01: Tony		Bob, Marco
Rwp02: Mark		Alberto, Anita, Nic, Ray, Tom, David Schade,
Elizabeth
Rwp03: Ray		Sebastien, Bob, Clive Davenhall, Clive Page,
Elizabeth
Rwp04: Keith	Andre, Will, Gretchen, Ray, Marco
Rwp05: (tbd)	Keith, Roy, Markus, Pierre, Andre

We *will* be looking for further volunteers for these groups from those
who were unable to participate in the meeting. Please contact the wp
leads to sign up.

All discussions within each wp will be conducted on this mailing list so
that everyone can participate, even if not signed up to work on a
particular item. Can I remind everyone to prefix the subject of any wp
email with the code for the wp, eg:
  Subject: Rwp01-Suggestions for doc stds

We defined some initial milestones for each group. In essence they
commit each group to early draft documents by the Interop meeting at
Cambridge on 15-16 May. These milestones are defined in the slides I
kept changing on the second day:

http://www.ivoa.net//internal/IVOA/Registry19032003/TL-IVOARegistry-Day2
.ppt

The wp participants may choose to amend these milestones after their
initial discussions. Two milestones, however, apply to *every* wp:

Define Scope: 11-April
Set plans: 11-April

So by the 11-April, each wp will have published a document containing
the scope of their work and plans for how they intend to get all
documents within that scope up to V1.0 by the end of this year.

We have a lot of work to do, especially over the next few weeks but,
based on the enthusiasm and commitment shown during the kickoff meeting,
I'm sure we'll achieve our goals.

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org