Kickoff meeting: guest speaker on OAI

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 10:11:01 PST 2003

I'm pleased to say that we will have a guest speaker at the Registry
Kickoff meeting to tell us about OAI and Dublin Core. The speaker is
Andy Powell, Assistant Director and Team Leader, Distributed Systems and
Services at UKOLN, University of Bath (http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/).

Andy's reponse to an email I sent to the OAI list states: 'I was a
member of the OAI technical committee that developed the OAI v2
specification.  I have done a number of presentations on OAI.  I set the
interoperability standards for the RDN (which uses the OAI protocol
internally) and the JISC Information Environment technical architecture,
which specifies use of OAI for metadata harvesting.  I also work on the
ePrints UK project, which will use the OAI protocol to develop a series
of subject-focused eprint discovery services.'

I'm sure we'll find this presentation useful and interesting. I'm
talking to Andy tomorrow lunchtime about the pitch of his presentation -
does anyone have any topics they especially want covered?

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org