Resource Identifiers: discussion synthesis

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 14:34:33 PDT 2003

Hi Bob,

I guess it depends on what you want to achieve with 0.8 of RSM. As I've
said previously, I don't really agree on the name of the document but
that may well be the least of the issues. Ray and I have converged on
some agreement over the ResourceID and I believe he is going to write it
up. There's still discussion on whether the registry as we're looking at
it now contains every resource or whether we separate out the
'supertypes' of resource into different registries. Then there's the
issue of the metadata formats or extensions, how they are defined and
how expressed.

If v0.8 is to encompass all of this then it'll be some time before it
can be ready (look how long it took for Ray, Roy and I to agree on the
ID - who knows what everyone else will think of the proposal?).

I guess we need to solicit opinions first on the supertypes and
MFs/extensions ideas.