Resource Identifiers: discussion synthesis

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 5 14:08:30 PDT 2003

Bob,

I think we have reached a concensus (sufficient for drawing up a working
draft, which I will do).  The identifier will have 2 forms: an XML tagged
form and a URI form, and it will be made up of 2 components (Authority ID
and the Resource Key), both of which are under control of the publisher.

I would recommend that you have a short section in the RSM prior to the
definition of the individual items describing the VO identifier (e.g. in
as few words as I have done above) and referencing the VO Identifier
Working Draft.  Then for the three items of identifier type, call the type
VO Identifier.

The next issue for the RSM, I think, is a review of the major types (or
"classes", as I've refered to them) of Resources and verifying that what
we call the generic resource metadata is truely generic.  (This is the
"Resources = services!" thread that Tony started; see his latest
installment.)  We can try to wrap up v0.8 first, or try to settle any
refactoring issues for v0.8.