Registry workgroup kickoff meeting: Who can come? How?

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 24 12:53:40 PST 2003

Hi Tony,

(It looks like we've had a few messages go past each other, so some this
message may be 'out-of-date'.)

> I guess we could do but I thought that it'd be a bit pointless in a
> large presentation-based meeting. If we can set the scope and roadmap
> for the WG during the AccessGrid session then we can follow up with
> telecons and email threads which directly tackle points on the roadmap.
>
> The main meeting will consist of presentations on techniques and
> technologies relevant to the registry field. We'll make sure the
> presentations are uploaded with details of any discussions to the wiki
> so others can comment later.
>
> What do you think?

Yeah, I that may be the best we can do under the circumstances.
(Thoughts from other US-VOers?)  Bob also mentioned interest in teleconing
in.  If you can swing a telecon line, we'll do our best with it.

Assuming that we can't call in or otherwise contribute to the main
meeting, I thought I might mention two techniques/technologies that we've
been working on in case someone is giving a survey type presentation and
might stick in a slide on each.

As you know, one of the topics is the Open Archive Initiative metadata
harvesting protocol.  Roy and I have posted quite a bit to the list about
it, and I posted an evaluation of it to the RequistryRequirements wiki.
This doc, http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/RegistryRequirements/evaloai.html,
is probably a good starting point for the unfamiliar; one can follow the
references therein as necessary.

The other area we've been looking at is identifiers.  I've been reworking
my framework proposal based on comments I've received thus far.  I hope to
have a document ready on it and posted to the wiki this week.