Meeting

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Sun Feb 9 08:11:18 PST 2003

I was going to set up a telecon to discuss issues relating to the
Registry. Then I wondered if it might be better to have a face-to-face
meeting first followed by one- or two-weekly telecons.

It would need to be soon to get the ball rolling and I was going to
suggest somewhere in London in mid-March (Elizabeth could probably
arrange a meeting room somewhere at UCL) since the date is fairly soon
and London is relatively central between US and Europe and easy to get
to.

So, what do people think? Face-to-face meeting or telecon to kick off?
(Possible agendas for each listed below.)

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org

========================

As for an agenda for a face-to-face meeting, I was thinking of:

1. Registry options (presentations):
1.1 OAI
1.2 GLU
1.3 WS-I & UDDI
1.4 JINI
1.5 ?? - some grid-based registry/ies
1.6 ?? - agent-based technology/ies

2. Identification options (presentations):
2.1 ...

3. Scope of IVOA Registry standards (discussion)
3.1 Vision
3.2 Specifications required

4. Linking IVOA to Astro & Grid standards
4.1 FIPS, etc
4.2 Globus, GGF, etc

5. Use Cases
5.1 Brainstorm registry functional subdivisions
5.2 Working groups to develop use cases for each subdivision

5. Organisation & Roadmap (discussion)
5.1 Meetings & Telecons
5.2 Schedule
5.3 Publishable roadmap

With the extent of the agenda, we'll probably need two days.

===============================

If we cannot do a face-to-face meeting, the agenda for the first telecon
could be something like:

1. Registry options:
1.1 list of possible options
1.2 volunteers to write paper on each option
1.3 deadlines for each paper

2. Scope of IVOA Registry standards
2.1 brief discussion
2.2 volunteer to write Vision document
2.3 volunteer to write Scope and draft specs list

3. Use cases
3.1 list of functional areas
3.2 volunteers to form working groups to develop use cases per area
3.3 deadlines for each use case set

4. Organisation and roadmap
4.1 meetings and telecons: schedule
4.2 items for roadmap

The following few meetings will be a matter of putting more detail on
the Scope and Options documents, then reviewing the use cases and then
working on the standards.

The identification issue needs to be raised as well but may need more
bouncing around on the mailing list before we're at a point of having
options to discuss.