Registry architecture and id

Marco Leoni Marco.Leoni at eso.org
Fri Feb 7 04:41:25 PST 2003

I would add two ideas at the ongoing discussion.

- First is about the implementation of the registry: what about to use
Jini architecture in order to create a distributed environment where
each entity can plug-in itself?
Jini architecture will provide a network of services with a look-up
facility, exactly what we need for the registry (more info at
http://www.jini.org).

- Second thing is about ID.
As suggested each entity of the registry will probably have a different
way-of-sameness, so we can think of  ID as the super class with several
children, one for each type of sameness:

              |-----------------|
              |           ID           |
              |-----------------|

                         /\

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...
           |                                                   |

| ObservationID  | --------------|       FileID

In this way it could be possible to build something that implements
different types of sameness-checking related to the entity type.

Cheers,
    Marco