Scope of registry

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 07:51:01 PST 2003

> List Metadata Formats (what schemas do you have for metadata)
> List Sets (collections hosted by this repository)

Sounds like the stuff I was referring to. How about writing 'The VO
Builder's Simple Guide to OAI', Roy? :)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:44:20 -0800, "Roy Williams" <roy at cacr.caltech.edu>
said:
> > We surely need to define what services the Registry should
> > provide - and recognise that we don't need to make an
> > exhaustive list now because we should be able to extend it.
> > All registries need to sign up to this set of services -
> > or at least be able to specify what sub-set it adheres to
>
> In the OAI model, there are exactly six verbs that the registry
> understands.
> The verbs are:
>
> Identify (who are you)
> List Metadata Formats (what schemas do you have for metadata)
> List Sets (collections hosted by this repository)
> List Identifiers (return just the identifiers and dates of most recent
> change)
> List Records (return full records)
> Get Record (return a full record from its identifier).
>
> This is a pretty basic set of services!
>
> If a registry has an OAI interface, it can have others too. ArXiv and ADS
> brought up OAI long after they had their native interfaces.
>
> In addition to OAI, we would need to define and implement a query
> language
> using additional verbs. If, for example, we define each survey by its sky
> coverage, then OAI provides no way to ask for every survey that covers
> Orion.
>
> Roy
>
> --------
> Caltech Center for Advanced Computing Research
> roy at cacr.caltech.edu
> 626 395 3670

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org

--
http://fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own