RWP04: Registry Replication

Wil O'Mullane womullan at skysrv.pha.jhu.edu
Wed Apr 30 06:30:32 PDT 2003

> we have a simple example XML query (below) upon which I would welcome
> everyone's comments. We are looking into XQuery/XPath, but that might
> not be appropriate for the current iteration of AstroGrid. Again, your
> comments would be welcome.

So why not just use the SQL - it is already a fairly standard query language ?
Converting the query to XML just for the sake of having XML seems rather pointless.
If we are converging on the full/private model then the schema's of the full registries should be the same. Now running ahead a little assuming the obvious implementation for a searchable set of records is to use a relational database it
would process SQL directly..
we have been playing with this a little and made a web service to support a
predicate  like " Publisher like'%Roy%' and Subject like '%Optical%' or Subject like '%Radio%' "

http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/registry/Registry.asmx

Normally we would expect this to be called in code although you may invoke it using a form  also
http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/registry/Registry.asmx?op=QueryRegistry

http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/registry/Registry.asmx/QueryRegistry?predicate=Publisher+like%27%25Roy%25%27+and+Subject+like+%27%25Optical%25%27+or+Subject+like+%27%25Radio%25%27

Also I feel a WebService is the best way to access something like this - making it easy to build registry queries into any other apps we are making...

wil