Registry Work Package 4

Keith Noddle ktn at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 07:56:05 PDT 2003

Slightly belatedly (I hate it when the day job gets in the way...) I
have opened the IVOA Wiki page for Registry Work Package 4.

The primary purpose of this WP is to design a mechanism whereby registry
data may be distributed (where "distributed" is still to be defined) and
a query schema which defines how registries will be interrogated.

In order to stimulate ideas I'd like to ask the assembled company for
their thoughts and experiences on the following:

     1. Are there any precedents or examples of sharing registry style
        data already in existence?
     2. What ideas for sharing data do people have?
     3. What are the "Must Haves" and "Must Nots"?
     4. Are there any good examples of metadata querying that we should
        adopt?

I am very interested in any views regarding sharing registry data in a
network DNS fashion versus replicating data among a peer group of
registries.

Keith.

--

Keith Noddle			Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1894
AstroGrid Technical Lead	Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
University of Leicester		Email:  ktn at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH		Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org