[Radioig] voltage UCD?

Mark Kettenis kettenis at jive.eu
Fri Mar 31 13:40:43 CEST 2023

> From: Markus Dolensky <markus.dolensky at uwa.edu.au>
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:16:47 +0000

Hi Markus Do & others,

> Hi Markus De., Francois, Mireille,
>
> @Markus De:
> We are talking about raw (calib_level = 0), complex voltage data (o_ucd =
> stat.fourier?) from a future radio interferometer that records them in near
> realtime (dataproduct_type = timeseries).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're really talking about
is "I/Q data" that describes the in-phase (I) and quadrature (Q)
components of a (downmixed) signal.  The I and Q components are often
combined in a single complex number but that really is just a
mathematical convenience.

Note that reconstruction of the original signal (which is presumably
what is needed/wanted in the subsequent analysis) you need to know the
frequency of the mixer signal (LO) that was used to construct the I
and Q components.

> So yes, stat.fourier is a possible candidate. I will try to source an
> opinion from one of the Pulsar astronomers designing the data product.

The existence of stat.fourier.amplitude suggests that stat.fourier
would indeed be complex number; but the I/Q representation isn't
really a fourier transform of the original signal...

Is a new UCD "atom" that indicates I/Q data appropriate?  With the
understanding that this would be a complex number?  Not sure if there
is a need to have a UCD that represents the indivicual I and Q
components.