[Ops] ops mailing list

Tom McGlynn Tom.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Wed May 6 15:13:52 CEST 2015

Dear Giulia (and also sent to the ops list),

Looking at your message I was intrigued, because it didn't list the two
groups under which I've been receiving the bulk of IVOA mail, the DAL
and DM groups.  Conversely I don't recall getting mail from any of the
other groups recently.
Nor have I gotten anything from the ops group this morning.

Looking at some of the headers for the mail I have received, I noted
that it looks like they are actually using
a very old address
    tam at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
which looks from my non-expert reading of the mail headers to be
translated at Goddard into my standard NASA mail address.

If this is correct, then it looks like what is happening is that no
email sent by the IVOA list servers is getting to me when it is sent
using my nominal NASA addresses.  My official address is
thomas.a.mcglynn at nasa.gov and we're allowed to set up a shorter alias
which I've made tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov.   My understanding is that E-mail
names are case insensitive, so it shouldn't matter which of the versions
you note below are being used.  Indeed it appears that it does not: they
are all failing!

One quick solution would be to use the tam at milkyway but I'd certainly be
interested in understanding why the proper address isn't working.  Any
thoughts?
     Tom