[Media] IVOA website: front page example

Budynkiewicz, Jamie Anne jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed May 23 11:34:22 CEST 2018

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the inputs! responses below:

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:01 AM, Deborah Baines <dbaines at sciops.esa.int>
wrote:

> Dear Jamie,
>
> Many thanks for sending the draft front page, I think it's a great start!
>
> Here are some inputs to your questions:
>
> 1.  Does the layout match the expectations laid out at our last meeting?
> Is there any content missing you think should be there?
>      - Missing currently:  menu bar, header image, footer navigation, a
> short IVOA description?
>
> I think we definitely need an About link, and/or a 'What is the VO?' link
> (which is frequently asked by first time visitors). This could fit in a
> menu bar or footer.

Yes, I agree we need a link to an "About the IVOA" and "What is the VO?"
links easily seen somewhere.

> One request that came from the Exec last year was to add the @IVOAastro
> twitter feed (embed the timeline). Unfortunately, these normally do not
> cover the whole width of a web page, so I don't see easily how it can fit
> into the current web design? Perhaps we don't add it since it can't be
> viewed in all countries? Maybe some of the news that are announced in the
> first two blocks link directly to the relevant news posted in our social
> media sites?

This is a good point I forgot to cover in the layout.  Maybe we could put
it next to the "technical news" announcements at the top? Something like
what's on the "ivoa website" Google doc now (attached in previous emails).

Since Twitter isn't available everywhere, perhaps we could show either
WeChat or Twitter feeds in that box, depending on the client's general
location? Not sure how that would work, but I imagine that can be done
somehow...

> header image idea: mosaic of colour images, of selected imaging data in
> the VO, spanning from x-ray to radio (could be created from colour HiPS)?

That Great, thanks.  Shan-shan, we had talked about creating a banner at
the Jan telecon. Is this something you think you could take a stab at
during the Interop next week?

>      - Any layout / color ideas?
>
> I prefer a dark background like your Chandra website
> http://cxc.harvard.edu/

Sure, sounds good.

--
Jamie A. Budynkiewicz
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
100 Acorn Park Dr. R-377 MS-81
Cambridge, MA 02140