[Media] General status update and upcoming tasks

Budynkiewicz, Jamie Anne jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 14 17:53:04 CET 2017

Dear all,

Hope everyone is doing well. It's been awhile since we last met, so I asked
Debbie if we could send out a status of the items on our plate. Here's a
couple of highlighted tasks/notes that have due dates coming up:

- IVOA newsletter (DB):  Sent to Exec and Media Group. Goal:  publish the
week of **Dec. 18** -- (almost finished)

- VO handouts for conferences:   an email was sent around yesterday asking
for ideas.  A conversations' been started (thanks for the inputs so far).
I talked with Pepi, and she says a good day to get a draft in would be for
the next Exec meeting, **Dec. 19**.
    ** For those of us at AAS, we could hand some out at the undergraduate
reception, plus give some to IVOA-partners to put at their booths **if they
want them**; Bruce mentioned some organizations have due dates for booth
material, plus we need to make sure the content is OK with the parties
involved.

- Website:  I started to play around with the wordpress site again earlier
this week, and realized the free wordpress blog doesn't let you add plugins
or custom themes/CSS.  I brought this up to Pepi this morning.  We were
thinking if it's worth it to pay for a test wordpress site so we can
develop it together, or try to host the test site at CXC.
   ** What do people think? Does anyone have suggestions / concerns? Note
that we can still work on site content and organization with the current
wordpress site.
      Related, I came up with a draft front page and put it on Trello:
https://trello.com/c/QI9wg93q/2-front-page-design. Comments/revisions are
most welcome :)   If people have more ideas for the front page, please add
it to the ticket (or send it to media at ivoa.net, or on Slack).

- How are the social media accounts going? ;) I saw one person tagged the
IVOA facebook page at the UN conference in Vienna (woot!).  We should come
up with some scheduled posts plus some notes on what not to post to the
IVOA accounts.  I plan to post stuff during AAS, so maybe that's a good
first go at the media platforms, unless anyone has an objection.

- VO Portal:  Bruno Merin is visiting CfA on Friday (Dec 15), and Pepi,
Janet, Raffaele, and myself are meeting with Bruno to brainstorm options
for the Portal.
     ** If anyone has suggestions / concerns about the VO Portal that you'd
like us to bring up with Bruno, let me or any of the attendees know.

Of course, we recognize that it's the holidays and we're busy getting our
projects in a good state before vacation/conferences/etc.. But if anyone
has a little time to put in -- especially for the VO handouts -- it'd be
great to get a head start.  I'll send a reminder of the task list after the
holidays when we've got more time to plan.

Thanks, and happy holidays!
Jamie and Debbie

--
Jamie A. Budynkiewicz