[kdd] Astroinformatics at AAS 217?

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Wed Sep 29 09:15:41 PDT 2010

Also, currently in the planning stages, is a workshop that will probably be
next April or May at NRAO/Greenbank on managing large datasets in astronomy.

"The growth of scientific data is becoming an issue for organizations around
the world. Current systems are just able to deal with data sets of order
100TB, but our future holds instrumentation that will require innovations in
how we do computing on large data. We, the National Radio Astronomy
Observatory site in Green Bank, West Virginia, are aiming to host a workshop
to facilitate discussions within the broader scientific computing community
on this topic.  The aim of the workshop is to allow community members to
share concerns and ideas for how we will meet future demands, building upon
our knowledge and toolkits of today, and to facilitate the building of
collaborations within the community to work on these topics.

Because dealing with big datasets is a concern for all of science and not
just radio astronomy, we wish to partner with other organizations to build
an agenda for the workshop that is not radio astronomy specific but truly
reflects the challenges facing all of scientific computing. "

I am on the SOC and will try to keep you apprised of how the plans for this
meeting proceed.

Bob