[kdd] KDDIG tasks 3 and 5

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 16 10:04:14 PDT 2010

It would seem to me that these points below are intimately related: (3)
the templates and (5) working with IVOA, meaning choice of data models
and formats. I would see the following as interesting data objects for
the KDDIG:

-- Catalog of sources, each with ID, position, magnitudes, ... more
-- Light curve of source, with time, magnitude, upper-limit
observations, ... more.
-- Image, with WCS, calibration, ...more.

In each case, there is an IVOA approach to these things through the
spectrum data model (VOTable + Utypes). There are also other formats for
these things that are not IVOA approved. And of course there is always a
call for the stripped-down CSV (just gimme the data). The archive can
have many format choices (so what are they?).

One could also say that the formatting is easy once the data is in the
database, which avoids choice of a specific syntax. But the *semantics*
of that database schema must enable the *semantics* of every proposed
output format.

Roy

--
California Institute of Technology