Data Origin in the VO

gilles landais gilles.landais at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Jun 21 23:06:36 CEST 2023

DATACP interest group proposes to improve the traceability of data
queried through the Virtual Observatory by highlighting the origin of
the Data.

A short list of basics metadata that allows to trace the data origin has
been published in an IVOA note
(https://www.ivoa.net/documents/DataOrigin/). The document also proposes
a VOTable serialization, based on existing standards that can be already
used by softwares like Topcat or Aladin.
The serialization is already available in the SCS of VizieR and Simbad
(CDS).

The information include reproducibility such as URL, protocol or
execution date and metadata describing the dataset such as authors name,
sustainable identifier, etc.

We expect with these metadata to improve the FAIR-VO framework and we
encourage VO implementer to extract and to build the information.

Thank to any VO implementer !

Gilles Landais, Gus Muench