KDD Interest Group redux

Raffaele D'Abrusco rdabrusc at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 3 20:27:01 CEST 2021

Dear IVOA community

I hope this email finds all of you well.

At the last Spring InterOp, I was appointed new chair of the Interest Group
in Knowledge Discovery in
Databases (KDD-IG). After a long hiatus, I think it's about time to
re-group, re-organize and resume the
activities of the IG.

I would kindly ask you to let me know if you want to become or continue to
be an active member of the
group by sending me an email <rdabrusc at cfa.harvard.edu>.

While current or past involvement with technical and scientific IVOA
efforts and the ensuing knowledge of
the inner workings of the Virtual Observatory are a plus, they are not
prerequisite to join the IG. In fact,
the influx of ideas external to the IVOA is crucial to keep up with the
needs of the astronomical community
in such a rapidly evolving field. For this reason, please feel free to
extend this invitation to individuals currently
outside of the IVOA who, on top of possessing a keen interest for and
expertise in the intertwined topics of
data mining, visualization of massive/complex datasets and statistical
learning, are willing to help us work
together and build rapport with the other IVOA WGs/IGs and, in due course,
constructively lobby for KDD-oriented
standardization of data formats, access protocols and workflows in
Astronomy.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience. I plan to call for a
telecon during the second half of
September open to everyone who expressed their interest.

I hope to hear from many of you.
Cheers,
- Raffaele

P.S.: the not quite up-to-date but still useful wiki page for the KDD-IG
can be found here <https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaKDD>

--

Raffaele D'Abrusco

*Archive Astrophysicist*

Chandra X-Ray Center

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian

Office: (617) 495 7208

60 Garden Street | MS 67 | Cambridge, MA 02138