Time series: Annotation of light curves in VOTable

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Apr 21 17:34:36 CEST 2020

Dear all,

Thanks Ada for that note.

after discussion with Laurent Michel and Ada I have two points  to address.

1 ) I think it's better to mark the VOTABLE as being a timeseries right
at the beginning of the document instead of putting the
utype="timeseries" information at the beginning of the TABLE.

Utypes are sometimes used in VO specifications to give a role (in the
IVOA) to the feature even if there is no datamodel behind. In the
attached example I use a syntax for the utype proposed by Laurent in
this private discussion.

2 ) In the current note the multiband case is serialized as 3 tables
written in sequence. Each table has its own PhotCal GROUP attached. In
the attached example (discussed with Ada) we propose an alternative: a
single table with a "FilterIndentifier" column. 3 different Photcal
GROUPS are attached to this tabel and the appropriate Filteridentifier
PARAM in each of these group is referring to the column with the same
name  in the TABLE. The assumption is that photometric metadata given in
the GROUP are valid for all roaws where values of FilterIndentifier in
the row and in the GROUP PARAM match.

Let's see what solution you prefer.

Cheers

François