Microsoft buys GitHub

Jonathan Fay jfay at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 5 18:16:02 CEST 2018

Just speaking for myself, I have seen a huge transformation in Microsoft's attitude and behavior regarding open source, especially since Nadella took the helm.

As many of you know, Microsoft Research developed WorldWide Telescope, and eventually moved it to Open Source and handed off the management of it to the American Astronomical Society. This sort of thing might have been unheard of in 2008 when WWT was launched, but in the last ten years Microsoft has Open Sourced a huge number of its core technologies, and has supported even more Open Source projects, including Linux. Recently I have even seen them shelve internal products and throw their support to competing Open Source projects, some even created by competitors.

In my personal opinion I think having Microsoft acquire GitHub will help ensure it stays available as a viable platform. There are a limited number of companies that can offer vast numbers of customers free services, and fewer that won't mine customer data for advertising as a means to pay for it.

I don't know anything about what plans Microsoft has for enhancing GitHub, but I am sure that improving integration with tools and services from internal and external sources will probably be part of it.

There may be some people who no matter what will hate Microsoft and anything it does, and just see this as a threat. I would just say while some people won't change their opinion, Microsoft has changed theirs over the years, and now in the cloud it is supporting developers on every and any platform without prejudice. I don't see the acquisition of GitHub as changing that direction, it maybe just reinforces its commitment to it.

Jonathan

PS. I apologize that a family emergency kept me from attending Interop in Victoria. I wish I could have been there last week but my family needed me more.