CDS services downtime

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Mon Apr 3 18:57:45 CEST 2017

I would like to open one important issue.

Today for me did not work SPLAT-VO as the resolver seaseme built-in the
splat was not working.

Margarida Castro Neves claims that the other built-in resolvers as CADC or
ESO do not work for a long time already.

As I understand all below are just Vizier copies not Simbad.
The only one is harvard Simbad - but it does not show resolver link

If I go to http://simbad.harvard.edu/simbad/sim-fref

and select other /resolver

it redirects back to

http://cds.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/Sesame

So is there a Seasame mirror ?

And how you have built the alternative resolver in your clients ?

We need it to modify SPLAT-VO Resolver selection menu.

BTW - I remember when the CDS downtime several years ago - when I was
exactly giving two hour tutorial about VO using SPLAT.
That time I could continue immediately by switching to CADC resolver.
Is it still working ?

Anyway I think that the multiple global mirror of such crucial service as
Seasame is  essential and shoudl be discussed here.

Best regards,

Petr

> Dear colleagues,
>
> We would like to make you aware of a scheduled down-time for the main
> Strasbourg site for CDS services (http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr,
> http://cds.unistra.fr) on Monday April 3, starting at 7h00 CET (5h00 GMT) and
> lasting for 6 to 10 hours.
> This will impact all services hosted in Strasbourg : Simbad, VizieR, the
> Aladin images server,
> XMatch, the CDS Registry...
>
> This is an unavoidable down-time due to major electrical work that requires
> all power to our site to be shut down for that time.
>
> We recommend the use of our mirror sites during this period: Simbad at CfA
> <http://simbad.cfa.harvard.edu/simbad/>, or VizieR at CfA
> <http://vizier.cfa.harvard.edu/viz-bin/VizieR>, Tokyo
> <http://vizier.nao.ac.jp/viz-bin/VizieR>, CADC
> <http://vizier.hia.nrc.ca/viz-bin/VizieR>, IUCAA in India
> <http://vizier.iucaa.in/viz-bin/VizieR>, Beijing Obs.
> <http://vizier.china-vo.org/viz-bin/VizieR>, or SAAO in South Africa
> <http://viziersaao.chpc.ac.za/viz-bin/VizieR>.
>
> We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
>
> --
>
>   (((    Sebastien Derriere     sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
>  (. .)   Observatoire de Strasbourg       Phone +33 (0) 368 852 444
> (( v ))  11, rue de l'universite        Telefax +33 (0) 368 852 432
> ---m-m--- F-67000 Strasbourg  France

*  Petr Skoda                         Tel   : (323) 649201, l. 361      *
*  Stelarni oddeleni                          (323) 620361              *
*  Astronomicky ustav AVCR, v.v.i     Fax   : (323) 620250              *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Ceska republika                                                      *