special issue of A&C on VO

Robert J. Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Fri Dec 13 11:01:31 PST 2013

Thanks, everyone, for the major increase in interest!

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet showing volunteers thus far.  This is way more than enough for a dedicated issue… I think we could fill two or perhaps three issues!

A few people wrote back asking about deadlines.  What we might do is group papers by when people think they can be ready.  For the first dedicated issue, I'd suggest a deadline of ~ April 1 for manuscripts.  If a manuscript is not ready, we'd move it to the next issue, with a deadline of ~ August 1.

There were also some questions raised about journal policies.  Here's the story (from "Why Publish in Astronomy and Computing?" on the journal website):

Why publish in Astronomy and Computing?
Astronomy and Computing (A&C) is a new journal bridging astronomy, computer science and information technology. Please see here the unique features of A&C

-        The board of Editors comprises of key people from the field, together covering the broad scope of the journal

-        The Scientific Advisory Board is consisting of senior and established people from the field, all contributing with their unique expertise to the journal

-        Authors are allowed to post a preprint version of their article on arXiv: http://www.elsevier.com/journal-authors/author-rights-and-responsibilities#author-posting

-        The journal does not have page charges

-        Authors can publish Open Access by paying a flat fee of USD 2200 per article: http://www.elsevier.com/journals/astronomy-and-computing/2213-1337/open-access-optionshttp://www.elsevier.com/journals/astronomy-and-computing/2213-1337/open-access-options<http://www.elsevier.com/journals/astronomy-and-computing/2213-1337/open-access-optionshttp:/www.elsevier.com/journals/astronomy-and-computing/2213-1337/open-access-options>

-        Papers are published online with a definite Volume and page number almost immediately after they have been accepted

There were also some questions about whether A&C articles would have much visibility / impact.  Obviously, it is a new journal.  Papers published in the first issue are already started to be cited.  The editors are committed to publishing high quality papers, not just filling pages.

It's not too late for others of you to come forward!

I think the next step is for people to confirm if you can meet an April 1 deadline.  Please let me know.  Laurent, Petr, Enrique, and Jose Ruiz have already suggested this a a feasible for them.  And to firm up author lists.

Bob