'New technologies' session at Heidelberg

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue Apr 30 04:27:37 PDT 2013

Greetings, all.

After some discussion with Matthew, who's organising the overall Heidelberg programme, the Semantics WG chairs have decided that we do indeed want there to be no separate Semantics session (separate, that is, from the joint Semantics/DCP session, and the semantics aspects of the Theory WG).

Therefore the session which had been pencilled in for the standalone Semantics session (14:00--15:30 on Monday) has, after discussion with Matthew, been reborn as a 'New Technologies' session, which I will coordinate.

This session will be about techniques or technologies which should be in the IVOA's future, or which may provide alternative solutions to IVOA problems, but which aren't yet at a standardisable stage.

This might include:

  * web developments (HTTP successors?)
  * language developments (languages for natural parallelism?)
  * database developments (is nosql now passé?)
  * UI developments (does an image viewer _without_ a game controller make sense?)

We can run this as a conventional session, with a sequence of timed talks, or if there's more interest we can run it as a sequence of lightning talks, or an unconference (I'm happy to take suggestions on format, too).

This session is at the beginning of the week, so provocative proposals would suit very naturally.

Please send your talk proposals direct to me.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk