URI fragments in IVOA specifications

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 12:32:16 PDT 2012

On 2012-04 -04, at 18:44, Norman Gray wrote:

> Greetings, again.
>
> On 2012 Apr 4, at 14:05, Norman Gray wrote:
>
>> Shortly before the Pune interop, I raised a question about the use (or arguably misuse) of URI fragments (the bits after the '#') in IVOA specifications.  I gave a short presentation to the TCG at Pune, and was left with an action to write something about this before the next interop.
>>
>> I've duly done that, and put a short draft Note at
>>
>>   http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/temp/uri-fragments.html
>>
>> I propose some discussion of this on-list, with a view to preparing a final version for some sort of ratification (I hope) at Urbana.  I expect that it would be reasonable for this to remain a Note rather than anything more formal, but since I think the conclusions here should have some normative force on future recommendations, I wouldn't disagree if people think it should be promoted somehow.
>
> As a result of (off-list) comments from Guy Rixon, Mark Taylor and Markus Demleitner, I've made some adjustments to the text, and put up a v0.2 at the same URI.

As it is now explicitly cited, I would like to point out that in the StandardRegExt usage of ivorns is more than just a name, the fragment part is really expected to be a fragment of the resource returned by the main ivorn - it should point to a vstd:StandardKey type element within the XML Resource document retrievable from the ivorn - see
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/StandardsRegExt/20120217/PR-StandardsRegExt-1.0-20120217.html#defkeys

Paul.