citing IVOA standards

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 01:38:48 PDT 2008

Dear all,

This is a very valuable discussion, the most important reason being the
need to get VO tools and standards cited _at all_, which is vital for our
future funding and for the careers of the engineers and computer
scientists!  So, whilst, it will be important to get a standards form
agreed, the priority should be to encourage all users to include any form
of citation which serves the basic purpose of identifying the authors and
providing a route to find the paper.  Most astronomers will just take the
form of their citation either from a previous citation or from ADS -
sadly, if something isn't in ADS and they are not copying a previous
citation, they will probably forget to cite a web document _unless we
provide an example of how to cite it at the beginning_ - just an idea..

The other reason to get into ADS is because that gives the easiest way to
link to one's own publications - and to get citation counts (I am sure
that there are many other ways - I don;t want to start a debate - I am
justs pointing out what happens in most cases in reality).

best wishes

Anita

Dr. A.M.S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer,
Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, Alan Turing Building,
University of Manchester, M13 9PL
+44 (0)161 275 4124
and
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, Jodrell Bank Observatory,
Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K. +44 (0)1477 571321 (tel) 571618 (fax)