WWT & VO (was NG of GS & BO standards for JPEG with WCS)

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Fri Jan 18 11:13:53 PST 2008

> For astronomy we need to take a stand for full functionality and
> not be bullied by the GIS community into adopting something that is
> not suitable for good astronomy visualization, when we can have
> better.

I think we have adopted what was available, no bulling involved.

> We need to provide the input to the standards committees to make
> sure that future updates to standards incorporate astronomy's
> unique requirements.

This should be the role of the VO, but I have not much happening in
this direction till the flurry of email after the AAS. In my opinion,
the need for much better integration with the Sky/WWT teams is a must
if we indeed want to address the distribution and visualization of
large collections.

-Alberto