WWT & VO (was NG of GS & BO standards for JPEG with WCS)

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Fri Jan 18 10:34:11 PST 2008

> One is the OpenGIS Web Map Service (WMS), which is designed for rapid
> remote visualization of graphical data.  With the addition of some
> astronomy oriented projections this could work well for graphical
> data from astronomy.  Unlike SIA, WMS does not require a prior query
> for data access, and instead allows direct access at the pixel level
> to seamless, wide area graphical imagery.

At STScI, Antonio Volpicelli, Brian McLean and I have been
experimenting on this for some time now.
It turns our that GoogleSky can "hook" directly onto WMS servers. I
assume WWT can/will be able to do that as well, but I don't know.

We have built a full sky map of GALEX data that drives our in-browser
map application (http://mastmap.stsci.edu/galex/). The same data is
fed to GoogleSky. We had a poster at the AAS on this (047.28) Web
Mapping Services Technology and Astronomical Data (http://
www.abstractsonline.com/viewer/SearchResults.asp)

WMS seems to be a rather nice framework, lacking only proper
astronomical projections.

Ciao,
Alberto

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Jonathan Fay wrote:
>
>> As far as WWT we are planning to document all our data access
>> interfaces, and open them up some time after we go live pending
>> legal review.
>> We have a cutout service, a high-speed tile service, and a
>> reprojection/compositing service that are currently used internal
>> to WWT that may be opened up as the interfaces stabilize and we
>> confirm the legal status on the data to be served.
>>
>> The reason they exist, rather than hit the VO sources directly is
>> they are highly tuned for large scale visualization across the
>> sky. No current VO service is designed to service that need, so it
>> was necessary for us to implement that service, as well as a new
>> projection to allow full 3d sky access efficiently without
>> singularities. The full sky tile sets are meant to be reprojected
>> with 3d hardware, a software reprojection is necessary for
>> integration of them into 2d imaging applications, thus our cutout
>> and reprojection service.
>>
>> It may take a while for external access to get rolling on this
>> given the new projections, but the cutout server one it is
>> released should be useful for applications fairly quickly as in
>> gives a TAN projection back as JPEG or PNG image, and won't
>> require reprojection for display.
>>
>> Most of this data is sourced from VO sites thru the VO interfaces,
>> but we reproject and tile as necessary to make it scale well. For
>> instance Hubble publishes press release images thru a SIA query
>> and VO Table. Some of which are 16k x 16k and over half a
>> gigabyte. These images are beautiful, but too large for public
>> download. They must be turned into tiled multi-res pyramids to be
>> served on mass scale efficiently. Other VO services had full sky
>> data, but the data must be projected into a tiles multi-res mosaic
>> for visualization. That operation is not real-time friendly, but
>> once that work has been done the result is a useful service that
>> should (and will be) made available to others to use.
>>
>> Related to your other question is that WWT will also natively open
>> AVM encoded images (currently a IVOA note) and display them
>> directly in the sky. The last details of V1.1 of the proposed
>> standard were hashed out at a meeting at AAS last week. Spitzer,
>> Chandra and Hubble images are all going to be encoded with AVM,
>> and many already are.
>>
>> WWT Pro, that we are co-developing with Harvard IIC/CFA will be a
>> very rich VO client for interacting with VO images,  catalogs,
>> footprints, events, etc. While it is entirely possible to have all
>> this functionality in the wide release version of WWT, we don't
>> want to overload the existing VO infrastructure.
>>
>> Jonathan Fay
>> Principal Research Software Design Engineer
>> WorldWide Telescope
>> Microsoft Research

Dr Alberto Conti
Community Missions Office
Space Telescope Science Institute
contact | tel: 410-338-4534 | aim: wscience