next generation of Sky in Google Earth

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Thu Jan 10 08:36:54 PST 2008

Carol and I have been asking Google to make KML modifications in the
direction you propose for a long long time. Now that KML does indeed
seem to be an interesting tool and that Microsoft has entered the
game, I think we can collectively put pressure on the KML standard to
be adapted and modified since we all recognize its potential over
votables.

I will not even mention metadata, which has been and is my "broken
record" of choice both with GoogleSky search abilities and the VO. I
don't have a WWT beta to be able to make the same comment about it...

We suggested to the VO a much closer look at KML as soon as we
started playing with Google Earth, over 2 years ago. We have
suggested many many times that a true registry needs to be a metadata
engine.

It's nice to see I am now not the only one "suggesting" anymore. :)

-A

On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Jonathan Fay wrote:

> While KML is a common denominator, unfortunately astronomy has not
> been at the table at all for its definition so far. It needs to be
> a priority to move KML to use astronomy friendly standards.
>
> Certainly it needs to move away from equirectangualar projections
> for full sky and overlays to more astronomy friendly projections.
>
> Also astronomy coordinates systems and meta data need to be
> supported so that KML can be used to support rich astronomy use,
> rather than just HTML or text.
>
> I think this will take the VO community, Microsoft Research and the
> Google Sky folks to push this together, otherwise the critical mass
> will come from the Earth based GIS folks and astronomy will
> continue to be short-changed.
>
> Jonathan Fay
> Principal Research Software Developer
> WorldWide Telescope
> Microsoft Research

Dr Alberto Conti
Community Missions Office
Space Telescope Science Institute
contact | tel: 410-338-4534 | aim: wscience