next generation of Sky in Google Earth

Jonathan Fay jfay at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 10 07:27:04 PST 2008

While KML is a common denominator, unfortunately astronomy has not been at the table at all for its definition so far. It needs to be a priority to move KML to use astronomy friendly standards.

Certainly it needs to move away from equirectangualar projections for full sky and overlays to more astronomy friendly projections.

Also astronomy coordinates systems and meta data need to be supported so that KML can be used to support rich astronomy use, rather than just HTML or text.

I think this will take the VO community, Microsoft Research and the Google Sky folks to push this together, otherwise the critical mass will come from the Earth based GIS folks and astronomy will continue to be short-changed.

Jonathan Fay
Principal Research Software Developer
WorldWide Telescope
Microsoft Research