First release of Footprint Services

Tamas Budavari budavari at pha.jhu.edu
Tue Oct 24 08:19:36 PDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

We are happy to announce the first release of Footprint Services for the
Virtual Observatory. In case you missed the ADASS in Tucson last week,
below please find the abstract of the talk that introduced the new portal
at
	http://www.voservices.net/footprint/

I am delighted to see that our recently published online repository is
being used as intended and people have already started submitting the sky
coverages of various surveys. Thank you! The list now includes SDSS,
GALEX, UKIDSS, CFHTLS and more. Enjoy!

We'll keep improving the site, the web services and the content over time
and we hope you all will find it useful. Feedbacks, as usual, are welcome!

Cheers, T.
___

(O4a.1) Footprint Services for Everyone
	Tamas Budavari (The Johns Hopkins University)
	Laszlo Dobos (Eotvos Lorand University)
	Alex Szalay (The Johns Hopkins University)
	Gretchen Greene (Space Telescope Science Institute)
	Jim Gray (Microsoft Research)
	Arnold Rots (Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics )

There is much more to astronomical observations than just source catalogs.
For example, when working with multiple observations at different
wavelengths, knowing their precise coverages is just as important, e.g. to
look for dropouts, and can be very difficult in case of the most
significant observations that are often the most complex, as well. This
functionality has been missing almost entirely from the toolbox of many
astronomers until today.

We present high-level user and Web services for dealing with astronomical
survey geometry of arbitrary complexity. Based on our high-performance
spherical library, we built an online public repository of footprints
preloaded with the coverage of some of the most widely used datasets today
including the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS), the Galaxy Evolution
Explorer (GALEX) and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) exposures. We
publish a Web based toolkit that enables advanced spatial searches for
regions of interest on the sky, Boolean operations on selected footprints
(union, intersection), on-the-fly visualization, and exact area
computation. We also provide an easy-to-use interactive footprint editor,
as well as a simple upload facility. The results of the searches and
region manipulations can be saved and published on the footprint server or
downloaded in various formats including ASCII and the VO compliant
Space-Time Coordinate (STC) region representation.
___

Tamas Budavari

Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
The Johns Hopkins University