Travel between Mumbai and Pune

Ajit Kembhavi akk at iucaa.ernet.in
Tue Jun 29 02:28:09 PDT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Given below are some suggestions for travel between Mumbai and Pune (or
Delhi and Pune).  We have tried to clearly specify what you will have to
do at your end (reserve seats for air travel if that is the way you want
to come, reserve a hotel room in Mumbai if needed) and what we can do
(reserve a limousine seat or a car, pick you from Pune airport etc).  It
is possible that you need arrangements different from the ones specified
here, and you should feel free to send your queries about them to
vomeet at iucaa.ernet.in, or to me.

We expect to fix a hotel before the end of this week, We will then release
travel and accommodation forms on the web site.

Please do register as soon as possible, that will help us make
arrangements.

With kind regards,

Ajit Kembhavi

For the Organizing Committee
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Travel between Mumbai and Pune:
================================

Pune is located about 160 kms. from Mumbai (Bombay) and is easily
accessible by road or air. You will very likely arrive at Sahar airport,
Mumbai around midnight.  You can take a limousine service straight from
the airport to your place of stay in Pune or you can spend a night in
Mumbai and leave for Pune the next morning. Details are as follows :

Limousine Services :  There are limousine services available from the
international airport, every 2 hours or so, starting from 0030 hr. The
journey to Pune will take about 3 hours and you will be dropped to your
place of stay. We can reserve a seat for you on one of the services, and a
representative of the limousine service will meet you at the airport on
arrival. The cost will be Rs. 450-500 (US $ 1 = Indian Rupees (Rs.) 45
approx.). You will have to pay the amount directly at the time of
boarding. We will be able to reserve seats for you if we have your flight
details. We will be able to inform you the name of the company, their
phone numbers etc. in advance of your journey.

Stay in Mumbai followed by travel to Pune :

Stay: 	There are a number of hotels in the vicinity of the international
and domestic terminals (the distance between the two is several
kilometres). We have given below the names of a few hotels and their
tariff and you can request your travel agent to book a place for you. The
hotel will provide a courtesy coach service from the international
terminal to the hotel and then on to the domestic terminal the next
morning.

Hotel			     Approximate tariff  Phone		Fax
				per night

Airlines International		$ 50		26160714	26160717
Kohinoor Continental		$ 89		28209999/	28382434
						56919000
Le Royal  Meridien		$ 91		28380000	28380101
Hyatt Regency			$108		56961234	56961235
Leela Kempenski			$111		56911234	28387624
Grand Maratha Sheraton		$167		28303030	28303131

If you have any difficulty with the hotel booking we will be happy to
help.

Travel by Air : The flights from Mumbai to Pune takes about 20 minutes and
the schedule is given below with the cost indicated. This sector has a
limited number of seats and you should make a reservation quite soon. Jet
Air (9W), though more expensive, should be preferred as the Indian
Airlines (IC) comes all the way from Delhi and can get delayed.

        Bombay to Pune			 Pune to Bombay

9W 202	0930-1005			9W106	1035-1110
9W 101	1625-1700			9W 102	1740-1815
IC 688	0940-1010			IC 687	1050-1120

Cost one way:  $ 55 for IC; $95 for 9W.

You will be met at Pune airport by someone who will take you to your place
of residence.

By Car :	We can arrange for a chauffeur driven car to pick you up
from the hotel in Mumbai and take you straight to your place of stay in
Pune. Three people can comfortably share this car, the cost (one way only)
is given below:

		AC 		Rs. 3200	$ 70
		Non-AC		Rs. 2700	$ 60

We can pay the car company and you can reimburse us at IUCAA.

Travel from Pune to Mumbai :
=============================

You can again leave by air or road. Since most flights leave between
midnight and 3 am or so, you are unlikely to need a hotel room.

Air travel between Delhi and Pune :

If you happen to land in Delhi, you can choose from one of the several
available flights between Delhi and Pune. You can make a reservation for
this directly through your travel agent. The time taken is about 2 hours
and the schedule is given below :

   Delhi to Pune		Pune to Delhi

IC 688	0700-1010		S2 6132	1020-1225
S2 6131	0735-0940		IC 687	1050-1355
IC 849	1600-1800		IC 850	1840-2040
9W 363	1630-1830		9W 364	1910-2115
S2 6133	1655-1855		S2 6134	1925-2130

Cost $215 one way for all airlines (IC-Indian Airlines; 9W - Jetair;
S2 - Sahara airlines)

We can have you picked up from Pune airport. If your exit point from India
is Delhi, you should book the return flight as well.