VO vs VObs

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 11:24:49 PDT 2004

The fact remain that if you say "VO" to a griddish audience they think first
about grouping of people and second about software that manages a virtual
organization (e.g. AstroGrid's Community services). They are distracted from
what you are trying to tell them. about virtual observatory as data grid
AFAIK, if you write VObs, they are less
distracted.

Therefore, I will continue to write VObs instead of VO in talks to GGF et al.
If we in the virtual observatory community happen to see this abbreviation
then we will understand, won't we? In all IVOA material, let us write VO for
virtual observatory and write out virtual organization in full when we refer
to one.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523