xml tools -> Design tools with XSD (&UML) output

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 07:49:50 PST 2003

Together does have this - TCC is no longer free to academics since being
taken over by Borland but you can buy a site license or (even better for
AstroGrid) project license for about £1K/year:
  http://www.borland.com/together/controlcenter/index.html

I did not find it easy to understand which bit of uml I should use for
different aspects of the xml schema so gave up and stuck with XMLSpy
(windows only):
  http://www.xmlspy.com/

Another one I used for a while and found much better than TCC - more
intuitive - is, Tibco TurboXML, available as a download (linux & windows
versions, 30 day trial, moderate single user price, don’t know about
academic pricing) at:
  http://www.tibco.com/solutions/products/extensibility/turbo_xml.jsp
but I'd not begun using the advanced features that I had to force-feed
myself to keep up with Ray :))

Overall, best place to look for tools is at:
  http://www.xmlsoftware.com/
under the various 'editors' sections.

Overall I've found XMLSpy the easiest to work with - relatively easy to
switch between the text and diagram modes. Not cheap and windows only,
though.

Cheers,
Tony.

http://www-dapnia.cea.fr/Sap/