Authentication and DataLink

Van Klaveren, Brian N. bvan at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 17 19:09:04 CET 2020

I don't know if this helps you much, but I think it's probably worth referencing the handling of realms ("protection spaces") from rfc7235:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7235#page-5

   The "realm" authentication parameter is reserved for use by
   authentication schemes that wish to indicate a scope of protection.

   A protection space is defined by the canonical root URI (the scheme
   and authority components of the effective request URI; see Section<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-5.5>
   5.5 of [RFC7230]<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-5.5>) of the server being accessed, in combination with
   the realm value if present.  These realms allow the protected
   resources on a server to be partitioned into a set of protection

   spaces, each with its own authentication scheme and/or authorization
   database.  The realm value is a string, generally assigned by the
   origin server, that can have additional semantics specific to the
   authentication scheme.  Note that a response can have multiple
   challenges with the same auth-scheme but with different realms.

   The protection space determines the domain over which credentials can
   be automatically applied.  If a prior request has been authorized,
   the user agent MAY reuse the same credentials for all other requests
   within that protection space for a period of time determined by the
   authentication scheme, parameters, and/or user preferences (such as a
   configurable inactivity timeout).  Unless specifically allowed by the
   authentication scheme, a single protection space cannot extend
   outside the scope of its server.

   For historical reasons, a sender MUST only generate the quoted-string
   syntax.  Recipients might have to support both token and
   quoted-string syntax for maximum interoperability with existing
   clients that have been accepting both notations for a long time.

In addition to that, I believe it's also the case that, if you first login for https://example.com/protected/ in a browser, the browser will forward the authorization header for everything under that domain by default after that, but if you try to go to https://example.com/protected (even without the "/"), it won't forward that information on the first request, nor would it forward if it was https://example.com/. I believe it _should_ forward it those domains those requests returned a "401" with the same realm, although I haven't verified this.

I would also note that I think this also means that authentication for a domain https://example.com, would be expected to not be valid for a subdomain https://protected.example.com and not forwarded.

It's probably also worth referencing some of the HTTP state management RFC too, with respect to how cookies are handled (and some of the semantics in there around subdomains as well):
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6265#section-4.1.2.3

Brian