VOSI 1.1 Erratum 1: XML versioning clarification and corrections

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 29 22:19:42 CEST 2018

> On 2018-08 -29, at 19:46, Brian Major <major.brian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark and Markus,
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:14 AM Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> One thing not clear to me: is the intention to remove the document
> at http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd,
> which should not have been there in the first place
> (since its content should be available from
> at http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd).
>
> Yes, correct.

No this is not correct! - the namespace URL http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/v1.0 should redirect to http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd as it currently does and the http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd URL is left in place for those who might want to obtain the previous version.

(see http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/XMLVers/20180529/EN-schemaVersioning-1.0-20180529.html#tth_sEc3)

also

http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSICapabilities/v1.0 directly returns the  1.0 version of the capability schema
http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSIAvailability/v1.0 also correctly returns the 1.0 version

As far as I can tell Markus is correct - the impact is minimal, all that was wrong was the value of the version attribute in the Capabilities and Availability schema in the VOSI document were wrong - we aways used to put in a sentence in the Registry documents that the version obtained from the namespace URL directly was the definitive one if there were any differences between that and the document.

Incidentally for the @version support, then we are going to need to issue another version of the VOSITables schema with a version attribute defined for each element….if the presence of the version attributes in the example instances in the VOSI document are to be XML valid.

Cheers,
	Paul.