http -> https automatic forwarding

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 22:57:36 CET 2017

Yeah, extraneous redirects generally mess up the post-redirect-get
pattern (eg as used in UWS async job creation).

We have also run into a few issues with redirects that change protocol:

- users think they are calling an http url but then they get some
obscure SSL error because their system CA bundle doesn't contain the
necessary certficicates to validate your server cert and that can
happen when your server cert is signed by a valid but intermediate CA
and the full chain isn't propagated correctly. I think this can be
correctly handled server-side by configuring correctly, but many
incorrect configurations work for some people so testing corner cases
is necessary (and difficult)

- at least in java, redirects that change protocol are not followed
automatically by the http library as the design means backing out of
using an HttpURLConnection and instantiating an HttpsURLConnection
instead; iirc applications have to detect the redirect and create a
new URLConnection from the Location even if they told the last one to
follow redirects.

Pat

--
Patrick Dowler