http -> https automatic forwarding

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Thu Feb 9 02:08:13 CET 2017

Hi Everyone,

Our organization is in the process of migrating everything we do to
https.  Getting the services running under https and updating our
registry entries is straightforward.  However, people have various
scripts that they have already written, and we would like to avoid
breaking them.  So we were wondering what is the best thing to do for
clients that try to access the old http url's.

My inclination is to provide a redirect.  As I understand it, the
simple access methods (e.g. Simple Cone Search) allow a service to
provide a redirect for the original query, so any compliant client
should be able to handle a redirect to a https service.  I am less
confident about what might happen when a user tries to POST something.
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of transition for VO
protocols?

Thanks,
Walter Landry