VOSI 1.1 review

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 15:47:49 CEST 2016

Brian,

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Brian Major wrote:

> I've made a revision to the document to clarify the role of the detail
> parameter based on our conversations in Stellenbosch.   Essentially, the
> presence of the detail parameter with a value of 'min' or 'max' is a
> suggestion to the service as to what level of table detail to provide (with
> or without Column and ForeignKey elements), but the service may choose
> whichever.  If the detail parameter is not provided, the service may again
> choose whichever level of detail.  This ensures full backwards
> compatibility with 1.0 and allows services with a lot of table metadata to
> always return the minimum level of detail.

thanks, this looks about right and I think it will be a helpful
change for my TAP clients.  I have one suggestion for the text.
Currently it says:

   The child resource must be named with the fully-qualified table
   name and without any intervening schema name.  For example:

   \begin{verbatim}
   GET http://example.net/srv/tables/ivoa.ObsCore
   \end{verbatim}

   would return a Table document describing the ivoa.ObsCore table
   in full detail.

That is correct, but I find it slightly confusing (since in this
example the schema name "ivoa" is present, but not in virtue of the
schema/table hierarchy).  I would suggest instead:

   The child resource must be named with the fully-qualified table name,
   as it appears in the name child of the corresponding Table element.
   For example:

   \begin{verbatim}
   GET http://example.net/srv/tables/ivoa.ObsCore
   \end{verbatim}

   would return a Table document describing the ivoa.ObsCore table
   in full detail, starting:

   \begin{verbatim}
   <vosi:table xmlns:vosi="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/v1.0">
     <name>ivoa.ObsCore</name>