Doubt about UWS Results List

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 20:49:54 CEST 2016

Hi Sonia,

Others in this list may have a different opinion on this but here are my
thoughts.

The role of UWS is to provide a framework for completing a type of job, in
your case, taring a number of files.  Once that task is complete, the
results are made available to the client but the job is effectively
complete (as indicated by its execution phase).  Any further work would
either be done by another job or by another process completely.

The tar files you produce presumably must be stored somewhere and then
referenced by URIs in the job result.  I think you should consider using
any API to this storage system to allow users to manage these files.  If,
for example, you stored results in a VOSpace, users would see their results
show up there and then be able to delete, rename, or move them as they wish.

At CADC we do exactly this.  We have TAP services that allow users to pass
in a VOSpace URI which is used to store the results of their job at the
node represented by this URI.

Cheers,
Brian

--
Brian Major

Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
Centre canadien de données astronomiques

National Research Council Canada
Conseil national de recherches Canada