VOSpace: Content-Length on transfer negotiation

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 16:16:47 CET 2015

I agree with the concept.

I'd like to suggest a couple of alternative implementations.

1) Could this be passed as a property of the protocol? If so, then this
could be done now without any changes to the XML schema. Disadvantage is
that it would have to be repeated if multiple protocols were
offered/selected.

2) If we are going to change the XML schema, rather than adding a
specific element for this case, we add a generic <properties> element to
<transfer> which would enable us to add more things like this in the
future without having to change the XML schema every time.

Using the property model would allow us to define a byte-count property
for files now, and a row-count property for database tables later.

Dave

--------
Dave Morris
Software Developer