UWS POST PHASE=RUN

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 21:11:57 CET 2014

On 2014-11 -05, at 19:22, Walter Landry <wlandry at caltech.edu> wrote:

> Getting rid of PENDING would certainly not be a minor modification to
> UWS.  It would, however, make UWS easier to implement, since it
> integrates better with existing queuing software (e.g. SLURM, LSF,
> PBS).

Can I just say that the way that I implemented my UWS server in the past was that the PENDING state was before the job was sent to any backend cluster service  -  part of the point of the UWS is to produce a uniform facade onto other job systems - there might not be an exact match for each of their states - but the intention of PENDING in UWS is that it is a "before everything" state, where in the original conception, all that the UWS server knows about the job is the JDL - i.e. only the business parameters, and none of the desired job control parameters.

Paul.